Tuesday, February 12, 2019

A Rocking Chair View

I'll be honest. I'm only writing this post to kill time as I wait for another layer on my sunset watercolor to dry. Everyone is still asleep so I'm stealing time alone in my studio. Even my cat has been sequestered to the bathroom so that I can sit in silence and enjoy the smell of the flowers on my windowsill. I have three hyacinth plants in the process of blooming, a purple one, a pink one and a white one. It seems that they grow taller with more open flower buds by the minute. I have a cup of cut white tulips in full bloom and a pink, potted tulip plant who's bright blooms are just beginning to peak out through it's thick green leaves.

Outside of my window is an alley that is currently filled with trash. There are two white mattresses leaning up against the fence along with what appears to be the entire contents of someone's apartment, a possible bedbug situation. There are giant clear garbage bags filled with the recycling from our building, plastics, paper, metal, glass, and everything else. Every once in a while I see a rat scurry from bag to bag.

If I sit all the way back in my rocking chair and squint my eyes, all I can see is my beautiful windowsill of flowers against a New York City backdrop. My neighbor's kitchen lights are starting to come on. I imagine that they're drinking coffee like me and getting breakfast ready for their families. I forget about all the trash down below and I focus instead on the warmth of my surroundings, the colors, shapes and textures of these beautiful plants in front of my window. I drink in the scent, I study the petals and I think about my next painting. I am fully present and wonderfully inspired.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures in the Bible, Philippians 4:8-9 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

My prayer for myself this morning and for anyone reading this post is that you sit back in the rocking chair of your life, squint, and fix your eyes on the beauty. Let the bedbugs and the rats and the trash fall out of sight. Breathe in the aroma of what is blooming and fill your heart and mind up with that.

Peace be with you,

KSW

No comments:

Post a Comment